For some reason, Pidgin, which is included in Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon, has no notification sounds even though other applications do play properly. Whether I selected Automatic or ALSA as the output method, no sounds would play. Here’s how I fixed it.
- In Pidgin, select Preferences from the Tools menu (or press Ctrl+P)
- Click on the Sounds tab
- In the Method drop down list, select Command
- In the Sound command text box, enter the following: aplay %s
- Select an event with an assigned sound from the Sound Events list
- Click the Test button. You should now hear the notification sound
- Click the Close button
Aplay is the command-line ALSA sound player. I tested it on the command line and it played audio files just fine. So, it also works in Pidgin.